HOA Homefront is a syndicated weekly column that educates the public on issues pertaining to California residents living in common interest developments, their boards of directors, and community association managers.
Currently published in sixteen newspapers including: Orange County Register, San Diego Union-Tribune, Santa Barbara News-Press, San Bernardino Sun, Long Beach Press-Telegram, Riverside Press-Enterprise (online), LA Daily News (online) and Inland Valley Daily Bulletin (online).
HOA Homefront Reader Questions
Please submit your own question regarding your community association below.
We can not guarantee a response to all reader questions. If you need legal counsel, please contact us at 877.446.2529 or [email protected]
In regard to your submission, please be advised of the following:
- If your email was submitted because you or your HOA need legal representation or advice, please contact me separately to schedule a consultation, at 626-449-5577. Please note, we do not accept cases against HOAs nor do we engage in disputes against HOAs.
- In submitting your question, please provide your name, your HOA’s name, and the city in which your HOA is located. If your question is selected for publication, only your initials and the city will appear. I normally remove specifics such as number of homes or other specific details which might identify your HOA and therefore identify you. I DO NOT PUBLISH ANONYMOUS QUESTIONS NOR DO I CHANGE INITIALS. Please remember, there are over 50,000 HOAs in California, so your identity as the question’s author should be safely confidential if I use your question.
- Please do not send attachments – include any information in the body of your email.
- Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee a specific reply to each email or that your question will be published, but please know that I gratefully appreciate your participating in HOA Homefront. Sometimes I will pair questions of a similar topic, so do not be discouraged if your question is not published immediately. Please know I have a large backlog of many submitted questions, and it is quite possible your question could be published in coming months.
- Please do not be discouraged if your question does not appear soon after submission. I try to group similar questions together, and sometimes I use a question which is a year old along with a more recent question.
- In the event I am able to use your question, I will try to send you an email with a “sneak preview” copy of the column. However, I have no control when or if a given column appears in a given publication.
- I try to select questions of broad interest to my readership and often edit the questions due to space constraints (I am only allotted 600 words) or to delete specifics which might reveal your or your HOA’s identity.
- Answers provided in the column focus on general principles and should not be construed as legal advice. Sometimes adding facts to a question can completely change the answer. You or your HOA should consult legal counsel for specific legal advice. The column is intended as educational.
- If I can ever be of assistance to your HOA, please contact us. We represent HOAs throughout California, of all sizes and configurations.